Any examples/documentation for python-newt

Harishankar v.harishankar at gmail.com
Sat Mar 27 10:49:37 EDT 2010

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 14:44:23 +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:

> On 2010-03-27, Harishankar <v.harishankar at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I am writing a fairly featureful TUI in python and I figured newt is
>> the best lightweight TUI which actually offers widgets. curses is low
>> level and its text editing capabilities are poor while UIs like urwid
>> and stfl too complex for simple programs like the ones I am creating.
>>
>> Could anybody point me to at least a decent example program in
>> newt/snack and I don't mean popcorn.py or peanuts.py. Something that at
>> least shows how to create a basic menu-driven program in the command
>> line with a main menu and implementing several sub menus. Also a bit of
>> explanation of the behaviour of OK and Cancel buttons in standard forms
>> would be of help.
>>
>> So anybody uses newt? Or have people stopped using text based UIs
>> completely?
>
> I've used it for some trivial stuff, but not for anything very
> sophisticated.  Redhat's text-mode installer program (anaconda) was
> written in Python using Newt (I believe it is why Newt was invented).
> That's probably the most "full featured" example I know of.

Does your code use forms in an application loop? I am having a bit of
trouble with getting the form to stack up properly when I displaying
another. As far as I know the two examples uses a single instance of a
form which is discarded immediately on exit.

If you have even a small code sample I wouldn't mind reading it!

--
-- Harishankar (http://harishankar.org http://literaryforums.org)