Python database of plain text editable by notepad or vi

Almar Klein almar.klein at gmail.com
Fri Mar 26 05:52:51 EDT 2010

Hi,

On 25 March 2010 23:40, James Harris <james.harris.1 at googlemail.com> wrote:

> I am looking to store named pieces of text in a form that can be
> edited by a standard editor such as notepad (under Windows) or vi
> (under Unix) and then pulled into Python as needed. The usual record
> locking and transactions of databases are not required.

I wrote a file format and parser for Python and Matlab that enables saving
structured data in a human readable file. I use it to store all kinds of
scientific data, but also for ini-like files for certain applications.
Implementations and more information can be obtained here:
http://code.google.com/p/ssdf/

It's not a database in the sense that you can query it, but it might be
enough for your needs; it can store named pieces of (unicode) text.

Cheers,
  Almar