Revisiting Generators and Subgenerators

Patrick Maupin pmaupin at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 23:30:32 EDT 2010

On Mar 25, 7:31 pm, Winston Wolff <winst... at stratolab.com> wrote:

(a bunch of stuff about coroutines)

There have been proposals in the past for more full-featured
generators, that would work as general purpose coroutines.  Among
other things, there were issues with exception propagation, and the
design was deliberately simplified to what we have today.  Before
proposing anything in this area you should carefully read PEPs 288,
325, and 342, and all the discussion about those PEPs in the python-
dev archives.

After reading all that, and still being convinced that you have the
greatest thing since sliced bread (and that you REALLY understand all
the concerns about exceptions and other things), you need to update
your document to address all the concerns raised in the discussions on
those PEPs, put on your asbestos suit (modern asbestos-free
replacements never work as advertised), and then re-post your
document.

Personally, I am very interested in co-routines, but I have very
little time right now, and am not at all interested in reading a
proposal from somebody who doesn't know the full history of how
generators got to be the way they are (the lack of coroutines is not
an accidental oversight).  I suspect I am not alone in this opinion,
so there is probably some interest in a realistic proposal, but
perhaps also some skepticism about whether a realistic proposal can
actually be engineered...

Best regards and good luck!
Pat