Ubuntu install problems

MRAB python at mrabarnett.plus.com
Sat Mar 20 13:26:58 EDT 2010

waugust wrote:
> I have 2.5 (for GAE), 2.6 (Ubuntu default), and 3.1 installed.
> Whenever I apt-get install anything It ends with a series of python
> (dependency?) errors.  Anybody got any idea?
>> aptget libgcj-common
> Reading package lists...
> Done
> Building dependency
> tree
> Reading state information...
> Done
> libgcj-common is already the newest
> version.
> 0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 6 not
> upgraded.
> 26 not fully installed or
> removed.
> After this operation, 0B of additional disk space will be
> used.
> Setting up libgcj-common
> (1:4.4.1-1ubuntu2) ...
> Compiling /usr/lib/python3.1/dist-packages/
> aotcompile.py ...
>   File "/usr/lib/python3.1/dist-packages/aotcompile.py", line
> 115
>     raise Error, "nothing to
> do"
>
> ^
> SyntaxError: invalid
> syntax
>
> Compiling /usr/lib/python3.1/dist-packages/classfile.py ...
>   File "/usr/lib/python3.1/dist-packages/classfile.py", line 30
>     raise TypeError, type(arg)
>                    ^
> SyntaxError: invalid syntax

[snip]
In Python 2 an exception can be raised with the old-style:

     raise Error, "nothing to do"

or the new-style:

     raise Error("nothing to do")

In Python 3 the old style is not supported (it was abandoned as part of
the general clean-up).

Another related change is that the old-style:

     except Error, e:

in Python 2 has been completely replaced by the new-style:

     except Error as e:

in Python 3 (also available in Python 2.6).