Castrated traceback in sys.exc_info()

Gabriel Genellina gagsl-py2 at yahoo.com.ar
Fri Mar 19 21:54:58 EDT 2010

En Wed, 17 Mar 2010 09:42:06 -0300, Pascal Chambon
<chambon.pascal at gmail.com> escribió:

> traceback functions indeed allow the manipulation of exception
> tracebacks,
> but the root problem is that anyway, since that traceback is incomplete,
> your "traceback.format_exc().splitlines()" will only provide frames for
> callee (downward) functions, not caller (upward) ones, starting from the
> exception catching frame.

Either I don't understand what you mean, or I can't reproduce it:

<code>
import logging

def a(): return b()
def b(): return c()
def c(): return d()
def d(): raise ValueError

def main():
   logging.basicConfig(level=logging.DEBUG)
   try: a()
   except: logging.exception("An error")

main()
</code>

Output:

D:\temp>python test_logging.py
ERROR:root:An error
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "test_logging.py", line 10, in main
     try: a()
   File "test_logging.py", line 3, in a
     def a(): return b()
   File "test_logging.py", line 4, in b