[python3]

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Fri Mar 19 15:02:56 EDT 2010

On 3/19/2010 2:17 PM, Steve Holden wrote:
> Kevin Adams wrote:
>> Greetings!
>>
>> Please forgive me if im posting this to the wrong group.
>>
>> I'm new to Python, learning Python3 from the O'rielly "Learning
>> Python" book.  Reading
>> about operator overloading, specifically __getitem__.   I put together
>> a small bit of code to
>> do some experimenting and threw in a timer so i can see it do its
>> thing.  For some reason
>> the time.sleep(x) function doesnt work when my print function includes
>> "end=''".
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any help.
>>

> Try the following changes:
>
>> ---code---
>>
>> class TestClass():
>>      def __init__(self):
>>          self.data = "I was far from home and the spell of the eastern
>> sea was upon me."
>>
>>      def __getitem__(self,i):
>>          return self.data[i]
>>

>> import time
>
> import sys
>>
>> if __name__ == "__main__":
>>
>>      me = TestClass()
>>      for x in me:
>>          print(x,end='')  #if i remove the 'end='''  it performs as i'd
>> expect
>            sys.stdout.flush()
>
>>          time.sleep(int(2))
>
> It may just be that the output is being held in buffers until the
> program terminates. the fluch() methof pushes it straight out.

The IDLE Shell window must get print output back from the pythonw
process without buffering. When I cut and pasted from IDLE editor to
standard interpreter window, output was bunched after several seconds.
OP should have started with short string and minimal delay so output
would not take a whole minute. Flushing fixed problem in standard
interpreter. I will have to remember that testing partial line output in
IDLE does not show how it will act elsewhere.

Kevin: when reporting a problem, be more specific as to what 'does not
work' means.

Terry Jan Reedy