question about tkinter

robert schaefer rps at haystack.mit.edu
Wed Mar 17 10:33:41 EDT 2010

No, And there's a reason (perhaps not a great one - but I'm got some constraints).

I am not the system administrator and the tcl installer wants to be
installed as root. I tried it.

The rationale for not doing this is that the installation packages that I am administrator for,
 are all installed in non-root directories. by non-root people.
 If I have to install any package as root, then that becomes
 "different". The machines are all linux and intended to be swappable/exchangeable and installed by
 anyone without root access. This simplifies maintenance when a large number of boxes are involved.

Are there any tcl/tk packages that permit re-direction of installation to non-root directories?

This problem is just an ongoing irritation, python works fine without tkinter, I just can't get idle
 to work without it.

 Related to that I tailored Ipython to work with gtk (ipython's default was tkinter) - tailoring was by a command
- is there any way to command idle to use gtk?

On Mar 17, 2010, at 9:59 AM, Peter Otten wrote:

> robert schaefer wrote:
>
>> tkinter is in two parts:
>> 1. a python wrapper
>> 2. c code
>>
>> Both are present in the 2.6.2 python download.
>> It appears to be a "I can't find the library" path problem not a file
>> existence problem.
>>
>> 1. gcc can't find the libraries that tkinter c code links to ( I could fix
>> that) 2. the python installer can't find all the library paths to all the
>> pieces - I started fixing this, then determined it would be easier to
>> rewrite from scratch than patch. That is, the given method of building
>> paths in the script are way off from reality, not just an add this one
>> path and everything will now work kind of magic. I felt that the
>> "official" python people would have an easier time of this - so gave up.
>
> Just to exclude the simple problems (unfortunately I can't help you with the
> hard ones): Are the tcl development packages installed on your system?
>
> Peter
>
> --
>
> !DSPAM:4ba0e1dc51621869525538!

robert schaefer