subtraction is giving me a syntax error

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Mon Mar 15 18:56:19 EDT 2010

On 2010-03-15, Steven D'Aprano <steve at REMOVE-THIS-cybersource.com.au> wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 18:09:29 +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
>
>>> Delete the character between "y_diff" and "H" and replace it with a
>>> plain ASCII subtraction sign.
>>
>> I think somebody needs to stop editing his code with MS Word and start
>> using a programming editor. ;)
>
> I've had this error myself, and I've never used Word to edit code. It can
> happen if you copy code from a website that "helpfully" converts hyphens
> to en-dashes, spaces to non-breaking spaces, or inserts ctrl-Z characters
> into strings, etc. They're a devil to debug.

Though it may not be Microsoft Word, I think I'd still maintain that
an editor where you can't see a ctrl-Z or tell the difference between
an ASCII minus and a windows-codepage-whatever isn't a very good
programmer's editor.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! HUMAN REPLICAS are
                                  at               inserted into VATS of