Python, Reportlabs, Pil and Windows 7 (64bit)

Astley Le Jasper astley.lejasper at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 15:57:07 EST 2010

@Robin
Thanks. I thought that this seemed to be a general python thing
because it was effecting both installs. However, after also reading
Martin's comments ...

@Martin
> This is somewhat imprecise: is it
> a) that your CPU is AMD64, and thus supports 64-bit mode, or
> b) that *in addition*, your Windows 7 installation is a 64-bit
> installation, or
> c) that *in addition*, your Python installation is also a 64-bit
>    installation.
>
> Unless you have a specific need for 64-bit mode, I recommend that you
> use the 32-bit version of Windows (unless you have more than 4GB of
> main memory), and (even if you have a 64-bit Windows) you install the
> 32-bit version of Python on it (unless you have the need to access more
> than 2GB of objects in your Python applications.

Sorry. I have Windows 7 (64-bit) installed on a machine with an AMD
cpu (which supports 64-bit mode), with a 64-bit version of
(Activestate) python 2.6 .... although I didn't realise the later
until I looked just now.

> Install the 32-bit version of Python, and these installers should work fine.
Well, I uninstalled the 64-bit version and the installers did indeed
work.

I’m sorry everyone. I didn’t realise I had installed the 64-bit
version of Python. Well, at least someone else might find have the
same problem. But I think that there is going to be a bit of a rough
patch as everyone moves over to 64-bit.

ALJ