Where can I find documentation for data[:,9]

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Thu Mar 11 14:22:21 EST 2010

On 2010-03-11 13:01 PM,  Cal Who wrote:
> data = readdata( 'data/input.dat', delimiter = ',' )
>
> input = data[:, :9]#nine data columns
>

> Where can I find documentation for the
>
> data[:,9]
>
> in the code above.
>
> Been looking and found many examples but would like to know the definition.

When asking questions like this, it helps *a lot* to provide a complete example,
not just a snippet. If I weren't already intimately familiar with the library
you are using, I would have no idea how to help you.

However, I do know that input object is a numpy array, and the syntax you are
asking about is multidimensional slicing.

http://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy/reference/arrays.indexing.html

> I need to skip the first column and then read 9

data[:, 1:10]

> I would also like to print the data in ihe variable "input"

print input

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."