Named loops for breaking

Gabriel Genellina gagsl-py2 at yahoo.com.ar
Wed Mar 10 01:29:02 EST 2010

En Tue, 09 Mar 2010 18:41:10 -0300, Daniel Klein <bringa at gmail.com>
escribió:

> Basically I'm wondering if there are any plans to implemented named
> loops in Python, so I can tell a break command to break out of a
> specific loop in the case of nested loops.

See PEP3136 [1] and its rejection note [2]
I think you may find some more discussion in the python-ideas list.

> Currently I'm using boolean
> flag variables, but I find that very clumsy. I know this idea of
> breaking out of specific loops from javascript; I guess java does it
> too. It just seems a very Pythonian idea to me: clear, promotes code
> legibility, seems obvious.

Although I've occasionally missed the feature myself, I agree with Guido's
arguments against it. You have several alternatives: refactor the loop
into an auxiliary function, use a specific exception, add boolean flags,
or repeat the test at the outer levels. (I usually choose the first).

[1] http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3136/
[2] http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-3000/2007-July/008663.html

--
Gabriel Genellina