running a program on many processors

Martin P. Hellwig martin.hellwig at dcuktec.org
Sun Mar 7 21:08:39 EST 2010

On 03/08/10 00:18, Paweł Banyś wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have already read about Python and multiprocessing which allows using
> many processors. The idea is to split a program into separate tasks and
> run each of them on a separate processor. However I want to run a Python
> program doing a single simple task on many processors so that their
> cumulative power is available to the program as if there was one huge
> CPU instead of many separate ones. Is it possible? How can it be achieved?
>
> Best regards,
>
> Paweł

As far as I know, the Python VM (cpython) will not analyze your code and
automatically spread parts over different processing units.

I did read, two years or so ago, that AMD was looking in to something
that does just what you say on a cpu level, that is present itself as
one logical cpu but underneath there are multiple physical ones. I
wouldn't hold my breath though waiting for it.

--
mph