A "scopeguard" for Python

Alf P. Steinbach alfps at start.no
Fri Mar 5 08:06:55 EST 2010

* Robert Kern:
> [...]
>> argue against your earlier stand as if that was something that I had put
>> forward.
>
> No, I'm still saying that sometimes you do need to remove variables that
> you initialized in the initialization section. Writing a purpose-built
> context manager which encapsulates the initialization and finalization
> allows you to do this easily. Putting the initialization section inside
> the with: clause, as you do, and requiring cleanup code to be put into
> callables makes this hard.
>
>> It's a bit confusing when you argue against your own statements.

>>> Not compared to a try: finally:, it isn't.
>>
>> Again, this context shifting is bewildering. As you can see, quoted
>> above, you were talking about a situation where you would have defined a
>> context manager, presumably because a 'try' would not in your opinion be
>> simpler for whatever it was that you had in mind. But you are responding
>> to the code I offered as if it was an alternative to something where you
>> would find a 'try' to be simplest.
>
> I have consistently put forward that for once-only cases, try: finally:
> is a preferable construct to "with Cleanup():". I also put forward that
> for repetitive cases, a purpose-built context manager is preferable. I
> note that for both try: finally: and a purpose-built context manager,
> modifying the namespace is easy to do while it is difficult and less
> readable to do with "with Cleanup():". Since you were claiming that the
> "generic with:" would have the same problem as "with Cleanup():" I was
> trying to explain for why all of the intended use cases of the with:
> statement (the purpose-built context managers), there is no problem.
> Capisce?

>>> Many of the use cases of the with: statement involve creating an
>>> object (like a lock or a transaction object), keeping it around for
>>> the duration of the "# Do stuff" block, and then finalizing it.

>>> When you use the @contextmanager decorator, you almost always do. See
>>> the Examples section of PEP 343:
>>>
>>> http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0343/

>>> True.

>>> Well, local variables keep references to objects. Variable assignment
>>> followed by deletion is a very readable way to keep an object around
>>> for a while then remove it later. If you have to go through less
>>> readable contortions to keep the object around when it needs to be and
>>> clean it up later, then that is a mark against your approach.
>>
>> Sorry, as with the places noted above, I can't understand what you're
>> trying to say here. I don't recommend coding practices where you keep
>> object references around,
>
> Then how do you clean up locks and transaction objects and similar
> things if you don't keep them around during the code suite? Creating an
> object, keeping it around while executing a specific chunk of code, and
> finalizing it safely is a prime use case for these kinds of constructs.

Where you need a scope, create a scope.

That is, put the logic in a routine.

However, most objects aren't of the sort the requiring to become unreferenced.
Those that require cleanup can be cleaned up and left as zombies, like calling
'close' on a file. And so in the general case what you're discussing, how to get
rid of object references, is a non-issue  --  irrelevant.

>> and you have twice quoted that above. I don't
>> have any clue what "contortions" you are talking about, it must be
>> something that you imagine.
>
> These are the contortions:
>
>   foo = lambda: None
>   foo.x = create_some_object()
>   at_cleanup.call( lambda o = foo: delattr( o, "x" ) )

That's code that demonstrates something very different, in response to your
description of doing this.

Since I half suspected that it could be taken out of context I followed that
immediately with

<quote>
   2) it is a usage that I wouldn't recommend; instead I recommend adopting
      good coding practices where object references aren't kept around.
</quote>

I'm sorry but I don't know how to make that more clear.

Cheers & hth.,

- Alf