NoSQL Movement?

Gregory Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Fri Mar 5 01:54:48 EST 2010

Duncan Booth wrote:
> Did I mention that bigtable doesn't require you to have the same
> columns in every record? The main use of bigtable (outside of Google's
> internal use) is Google App Engine and that apparently uses one table.
>
> Not one table per application, one table total. It's a big table.

Seems to me in that situation the term "table" ceases to
have any meaning. If every record can have its own unique
structure, and data from completely unrelated applications
can all be thrown in together, there's no more reason to
call it a "table" than, say, "file", "database" or "big
pile of data".

--
Greg