Pylint Argument number differs from overridden method

Wanderer wanderer at dialup4less.com
Thu Mar 4 15:49:08 EST 2010

On Mar 4, 5:45 am, Jean-Michel Pichavant <jeanmic... at sequans.com>
wrote:
> Wanderer wrote:

> >> There are exceptions to every guideline. Doing this could easily be a mistake,
> >> so it's one of the many things that Pylint checks for. Silence the warning if
> >> you like.
>
> >> --
> >> Robert Kern
>
> >> "I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma
> >>   that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had
> >>   an underlying truth."
> >>    -- Umberto Eco
>
> > Thanks I was just wondering if I was overlooking something about
> > inheritance.
>
> This is only my opinion but you get this warning because of 2 disctinct
> issues:
> 1/ you just made a basic mistake in your signature and need to correct it
> 2/ you did not make any mistake in the signature, but this warning may
> reveal a (small) flaw in your class design.
>
> I don't know the exact context for your code, but it's better to have a
> consistant interface over your methods and mask the implementation
> details from the user.
> In your case, the getRays method may always ask for the lambda
> parameters and just ignore it for one of its implementation.
>
> And don't write empty doctrings to trick pylint. Either write them, or
> remove this rule, you are loosing all the tool benefits.
>
> JM

Okay different example. I'm not really using inheritance here but its
the same idea.
The wx.SpinCtrl is annoyingly integer. I want decimal values. so I
created dSpinCtrl.
It adds the argument places. It's a drop in replacement for SpinCtrl.
(okay its not, because I didn't create all the members). If you
replace SpinCtrl with dSpinCtrl the program should work the same
because the new argument places has a default value. I don't see a
problem with more arguments. Less arguments would be a problem.
Expanding functionality from a base class is what I thought
inheritance is about.

class dSpinCtrl():
    """Adds decimal values to SpinCtrl. Almost a drop in replacement
for SpinCtrl.
    Adds 'places' variable for number of places after decimal point
    """

    def __init__ (self,
                  parent,
                  iD = ID_SPIN,