Working group for Python CPAN-equivalence?

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Wed Mar 3 16:00:11 EST 2010

On 3/3/2010 12:05 PM, John Nagle wrote:

>> We have an equivalent in PyPI, though it's incomplete since many
>> *registered* packages are not actually hosted *at* PyPI.
>
> CPAN is a repository. PyPi is an collection of links.

As Ben said, PyPI currently is also a respository and not just links to
other repositories.

> CPAN has over 260 mirrors. PyPi has none.

A mirroring system has been or is being set up with at least a couple of
mirrors for things that are hosted at PyPI.

> CPAN enforces standard organization on packages. PyPi does not.
>
> CPAN has quality control, with testers and a test reporting system.
> PyPi does not.

People who are familiar with and like CPAN are free to help improve
PyPI. Those of us not familiar with it may not know what we are missing,
or have little idea about what works with CPAN.

Terry Jan Reedy