NoSQL Movement?

ccc31807 cartercc at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 15:54:53 EST 2010

On Mar 3, 12:36 pm, Xah Lee <xah... at gmail.com> wrote:
> recently i wrote a blog article on The NoSQL Movement
> athttp://xahlee.org/comp/nosql.html
>
> i'd like to post it somewhere public to solicit opinions, but in the
> 20 min or so, i couldn't find a proper newsgroup, nor private list
> that my somewhat anti-NoSQL Movement article is fitting.

I only read the first two paragraphs of your article, so I can't
respond to it.

I've halfway followed the NoSQL movement. My day job is a database
manager and I so SQL databases for a living, as well as Perl. I see a
lot of abuse of relational databases in the Real World, as well as a
lot of abuse for non-SQL alternatives, e.g., (mis)using Excel for a
database. The big, enterprise database we have at work is built on IBM
UniQuery, which is a non-SQL flat file database product, so I've had a
lot of experience with big non-SQL database work.

I've also developed a marked preference for plain text databases. For
a lot of applications they are simpler, easier, and better. I've also
had some experience with XML databases, and find that they are ideal
for applications with 'ragged' data.

As with anything else, you need to match the tool to the job. Yes, I
feel that relational database technology has been much used, and much
abused. However, one of my favorite applications is Postgres, and I
think it's absolutely unbeatable where you have to store data and
perform a large number of queries.

Finally, with regard to Structured Query Language itself, I find that
it's well suited to its purpose. I hand write a lot of SQL statements
for various purposes, and while like any language you find it
exceedingly difficult to express concepts that you can think, it
mostly allows the expression of most of what you want to say.

CC.