Docstrings considered too complicated

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Wed Mar 3 12:15:02 EST 2010

On 2010-03-03, D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy at druid.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Mar 2010 15:05:54 +0000 (UTC)
> Grant Edwards <invalid at invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> > It was actually an improvement over CP/M's file
>> > system. CP/M didn't have hierarchical directories
>>
>> Neither did the original MS-DOS filesystem.
>
> I think that it always had a hierarchical file system

The hierarchical file system wasn't introduced until MS-DOS 2.0.
Versions prior to that were flat filesystem just like CP/M.

>From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Allocation_Table

  At the time FAT12 was introduced, DOS did not support hierarchical
  directories, and the maximum number of files was typically limited
  to a few dozen. Hierarchical directories were introduced in MS-DOS
  version 2.0.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! I wonder if I could
                                  at               ever get started in the