Draft PEP on RSON configuration file format

Paul Rubin no.email at nospam.invalid
Tue Mar 2 19:33:50 EST 2010

Steven D'Aprano <steve at REMOVE-THIS-cybersource.com.au> writes:
> (3) which implies that all JSON files are valid RSON files.
>
> If you reject the logical conclusion that RSON must therefore also be too
> hard to edit, then perhaps JSON isn't too hard to edit either.

I would say that JSON is hard to edit because, among other things, it
has no comment syntax.  It's quite difficult to maintain a hand-edited
JSON file, or figure out what to edit into it, if it can't have any
comments in it describing what it's doing.  JSON is a serialization
format for machine to machine communication, not intended for hand
editing.  Simply adding a comment syntax to JSON would go a long way
towards making it easier to edit.