Adding to a module's __dict__?

John Posner jjposner at optimum.net
Tue Mar 2 11:18:02 EST 2010

On 3/2/2010 10:19 AM, Roy Smith wrote:

> Somewhat sadly, in my case, I can't even machine process the header
> file.  I don't, strictly speaking, have a header file.  What I have is
> a PDF which documents what's in the header file, and I'm manually re-
> typing the data out of that.  Sigh.

Here's an idea, perhaps too obvious, to minimize your keystrokes:

1. Create a text file with the essential data:

XYZ_FOO   0  The foo property
XYZ_BAR   1  The bar property
XYZ_BAZ   2  reserved for future use

2. Use a Python script to convert this into the desired code:

declare('XYZ_FOO', 0, "The foo property")
declare('XYZ_BAR', 1, "The bar property")
declare('XYZ_BAZ', 2, "reserved for future use")

Note:

 >>> s
'XYZ_FOO   0  The foo property'
 >>> s.split(None, 2)