Draft PEP on RSON configuration file format

Paul Rubin no.email at nospam.invalid
Mon Mar 1 15:08:58 EST 2010

Patrick Maupin <pmaupin at gmail.com> writes:
> One of my complaints.  If you had read the document you would have
> seen others.  I actually have several complaints about YAML, but I
> tried to write a cogent summary.

Yaml sucks, but seems to have gotten some traction regardless.
Therefore the Python principle of "there should be one and only one
obvious way to do it" says: don't try to replace the existing thing if
your new thing is only slightly better.  Just deal with the existing
thing's imperfections or make improvements to it.  If you can make a
really powerful case that your new thing is 1000x better than the old
thing, that's different, but I don't think we're seeing that here.

Also, XML is used for pretty much everything in the Java world.  It
sucks too, but it is highly standardized, it observably gets the job
done, there are tons of structure editors for it, etc.  Frankly
I'd rather have stayed with it than deal with Yaml.

There are too many of these damn formats.  We should ban all but one of
them (I don't much care which one).  And making even more of them is not
the answer.