Draft PEP on RSON configuration file format

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 12:13:37 EST 2010

On 2010-03-01 10:08 , Patrick Maupin wrote:
> On Feb 28, 9:18 pm, Steven D'Aprano

>> Come back when you actually have MANY users other than yourself using
>> this is real-world projects. Until then, it is too early to even consider
>> adding it the std library. Python comes with batteries included, but not
>> experimental batteries that aren't even built yet, let alone proven that
>> they work.
>
> I know that it is too early to be included in the library.  But there
> is a chicken-and-egg problem.  PEP 1 says you should circulate a
> design for discussion before writing code...

Ignore it. That comment really doesn't apply to this case. That's for things
that only make sense in the language or standard library, like context managers.
For libraries like this, Steven's summary is correct. It needs to have a useful
life as a third party package for a few years before you should propose it for
inclusion into the standard library. By all means, distribute a design document
for comment before you implement things; it's a reasonable practice. But don't
bother with a PEP yet.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."