taking python enterprise level?...

D'Arcy J.M. Cain darcy at druid.net
Mon Mar 1 09:43:13 EST 2010

On Mon, 1 Mar 2010 04:11:07 -0800 (PST)
simn_stv <nanyaks at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > All of the above (and much more complexity not even discussed here) was
> > handled by Python code and database manipulation.  There were a few
> > bumps along the way but overall it worked fine.  If we were using C or
> > even assembler we would not have sped up anything and the solution we
> > came up with would have been horrendous to code.  As it was I and my
> > chief programmer locked ourselves in the boardroom and had a working
> > solution before the day was out.
>
> sure it wouldnt have sped it up a bit, even a bit?; probably the
> development and maintenance time would be a nightmare but it should
> speed the app up a bit...

What do you mean by "even a bit?"  The bulk of the time is in sending
bits on the wire.  Computer time was always negligible in this
situation.  Yes, I can write all of my applications in assembler to get
a 0.00000000000001% increase in speed but who cares?

If you have decent algorithms in place then 99% of the time I/O will be
your bottleneck and if it isn't then you have a compute heavy problem
that assembler isn't going to fix.

And even if I get a 100% increase in speed, I still lose.  Computer
time is cheaper than programmer time by so many orders of magnitude
that it isn't even worh factoring in the speedup.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain <darcy at druid.net>         |  Democracy is three wolves