Ubuntu install problems

waugust waugustynski at gmail.com
Sat Mar 20 13:00:47 EDT 2010

I have 2.5 (for GAE), 2.6 (Ubuntu default), and 3.1 installed.
Whenever I apt-get install anything It ends with a series of python
(dependency?) errors.  Anybody got any idea?
> aptget libgcj-common
Reading package lists...
Done
Building dependency
tree
Reading state information...
Done
libgcj-common is already the newest
version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 6 not
upgraded.
26 not fully installed or
removed.
After this operation, 0B of additional disk space will be
used.
Setting up libgcj-common
(1:4.4.1-1ubuntu2) ...
Compiling /usr/lib/python3.1/dist-packages/
aotcompile.py ...
  File "/usr/lib/python3.1/dist-packages/aotcompile.py", line
115
    raise Error, "nothing to
do"

^
SyntaxError: invalid
syntax

Compiling /usr/lib/python3.1/dist-packages/classfile.py ...
  File "/usr/lib/python3.1/dist-packages/classfile.py", line 30
    raise TypeError, type(arg)
                   ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

pycentral: pycentral pkginstall: error byte-compiling files (2)
pycentral pkginstall: error byte-compiling files (2)
dpkg: error processing libgcj-common (--configure):
 subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit
status 1
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of
libgcj10:
 libgcj10 depends on libgcj-common (>= 1:4.1.1-21);
however:
  Package libgcj-common is not configured
yet.
dpkg: error processing libgcj10 (--
configure):
 dependency problems - leaving
unconfigured
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of libgcj-bc:

It snowballs down from there for:

No apport report written because MaxReports is reached already
                                                              Errors
were encountered while processing:
 libgcj-common
 libgcj10