multiprocessing on freebsd

Tim Arnold a_jtim at bellsouth.net
Wed Mar 17 09:30:24 EDT 2010

Hi,
I'm checking to see if multiprocessing works on freebsd for any
version of python. My server is about to get upgraded from 6.3 to 8.0
and I'd sure like to be able to use multiprocessing.

I think the minimal test would be:
---------------------
import multiprocessing
q = multiprocessing.Queue()
---------------------

with 6.3, I get

 File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/multiprocessing/__init__.py", line
212, in Queue
    from multiprocessing.queues import Queue
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/multiprocessing/queues.py", line 22,
in <module>
    from multiprocessing.synchronize import Lock, BoundedSemaphore,
Semaphore, Condition
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/multiprocessing/synchronize.py", line
33, in <module>
    " function, see issue 3770.")
ImportError: This platform lacks a functioning sem_open
implementation, therefore, the required synchronization primitives
needed will not function, see issue 3770.

thanks for any info,
--Tim Arnold