question about tkinter

robert schaefer rps at haystack.mit.edu
Wed Mar 17 08:24:03 EDT 2010

Hello,

 This is my first posting to this list so please be gentle -

 I am new to python and am using it on red-hat linux (I am new to that too).
 I am responsible for installing open source packages (including python) onto a distributed system of linux boxes.

 My question is, on python version 2.6.2 tkinter refuses to install.
 Without tkinter, I cannot use Idle.

 I looked at the install/configure script and hacked it a bit, but every fix only caused new problems.
 There are serious issues with that script for  finding necessary libraries.

We have a Sun-OS box with python version 2.5.x (I don't know the means of installation) that
tkinter installed correctly, and Idle works fine.

 My question is - has anyone else noticed the problem of tkinter and red-hat linux?
Has this been corrected in python 2.6.4 (or 2.6.5)?

thanks,
  bob s.

robert schaefer
Atmospheric Sciences Group