Large regular expressions

Nathan Harmston iwanttobeabadger at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 15 08:21:42 EDT 2010

Hi,

So I m trying to use a very large regular expression, basically I have
a list of items I want to find in text, its kind of a conjunction of
two regular expressions and a big list......not pretty. However
everytime I try to run my code I get this exception:

OverflowError: regular expression code size limit exceeded

I understand that there is a Python imposed limit on the size of the
regular expression. And although its not nice I have a machine with
12Gb of RAM just waiting to be used, is there anyway I can alter
Python to allow big regular expressions?

Could anyone suggest other methods of these kind of string matching in
Python? I m trying to see if my swigged alphabet trie is faster than
whats possible in Python!

Many thanks,

Nathan