sqlite savepoint problem (was: Re: sqlite3 is sqlite 2?)

Ryan Kelly ryan at rfk.id.au
Sun Mar 14 17:04:18 EDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-03-12 at 07:46 +0100, Laszlo Nagy wrote:

>  >>> import sqlite3
>  >>> conn = sqlite3.connect(':memory:')
>  >>> with conn:
> ...     conn.execute("BEGIN")
> ...     conn.execute("create table a ( i integer)")
> ...     conn.execute("insert into a values (1)")
> ...     conn.execute("savepoint sp1")
> ...     conn.execute("insert into a values(2)")
> ...     conn.execute("release sp1")
> ...     conn.execute("COMMIT")
> <sqlite3.Cursor object at 0xb7e29b30>
> <sqlite3.Cursor object at 0xb7e29b60>
> <sqlite3.Cursor object at 0xb7e29b30>
> <sqlite3.Cursor object at 0xb7e29b60>
> <sqlite3.Cursor object at 0xb7e29b30>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 7, in <module>
> sqlite3.OperationalError: no such savepoint: sp1
>  >>>

> The syntax is correct: http://www.sqlite.org/lang_savepoint.html
> The savepoint was really created.
> But I get this error, telling "no such savepoint". What is wrong here?
> Maybe it has to do something with transaction isolation? :-s

From memory you can't issue a "CREATE TABLE" statement inside a
transaction, at least not at the default isolation level.  Such a
statement will automatically commit the current transaction.  Doesn't
help with your current problem but worth pointing out :-)

When debugging strange transaction behaviour, I find it easiest to
create the connection with isolation_level=None so that are no implicit
transactions being created behind your back.  Not sure why, but setting
this makes your example work for me.

  Ryan

--
Ryan Kelly