How to end TCP socket data while using readline()?

Arjun Chennu arjun.chennu at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 10:35:38 EST 2010

Thanks for the feedback.

Opening a separate file-obj for writing and for reading is just what I've
been trying, but I don't seem to get it to work. I'm new to python and I'm
not sure if I'm missing the intricacy of some command. Please help:

Here is my server snippet:

            (conn, addr) = sock1.accept()    # connected socket
            print 'Client (localhost) port: ', addr[1]

            cf = conn.makefile('r',0)    # file obj for reading
            lf = open('ccs.txt','w')

            for linenum, line in enumerate(cf):    # iterate over socket
lines
                lf.write(line)
                #sys.stdout.write(line)
                print len(line)

            cf.close()

            stat = 'wrote %s lines to file.\n' %(linenum+1)
            cff = conn.makefile('w',0)   # file obj for writing
            cff.writelines(stat)      # cff.write(stat) does not work
either!!
            cff.close()

            lf.close()
            conn.close()
            print stat, "DONE!"

And here is the client that I have for it:  (sfp is the local file object i
read from)

        for line in sfp.readlines():
            cf.write(line)
            print len(line)

        print 'done sending'
        cf.close()   #writing ends here

        cff = s.makefile('r',0)   # file obj for writing
        for line in cff.readlines():
            print line

        cff.close()

        sfp.close()
        s.close()

The execution sends all the lines (and prints out the len(line) ) and then
stays waiting. THen when I manually terminate the client script, the server
script happily types the "DONE!" output.

Where is this protocol hanging up? Help much appreciated, with a small
explanation.

Cheers,
Arjun