pyc runtime error

Rami Chowdhury rami.chowdhury at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 04:31:42 EDT 2010

On 2010-06-30 01:06, Baris CUHADAR wrote:
> Can anyone explain this unexpected behavior?

I'm sorry -- can you let us know what behavior you're expecting?

> all files chmod 755, i've compiled x.py with py_compilefiles,
> also tried within python console with "import x"
>
> system:  centos 5.4 32bit
>
> This a PATH related problem i think?

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you're trying to do but from what I can
see, you are expecting .pyc files to be directly executed by the shell. And
as I understand them, they are *not* meant to be directly executed by the
shell at all -- they're simply a sometimes-useful shortcut for the Python
interpreter.

Python scripts like your x.py, however, *are* meant to be executed by the
shell. Have you tried:

[user at box cgi-bin]$ ./x.py

?

> [root at centos-14 cgi-bin]# ./x.pyc

May I ask, as well, why you're doing all of this as root?