Why Python3

rantingrick rantingrick at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 15:04:11 EDT 2010

On Jun 28, 12:58 pm, "OKB (not okblacke)"
<brenNOSPAMb... at NObrenSPAMbarn.net> wrote:
> Steven D'Aprano wrote:
> > None of PyPy, Unladen Swallow or IronPython are dependencies for
> > Python 3.x to be "ready for prime time". Neither is C module
> > support.
>
>         I think this is being overoptimistic.  For me, "ready for prime
> time" means "I can rely on being able to find a way to do what I want to
> do with it."  This includes being able to find third-party libraries
> that do what I want to do.  Right now, I can't really rely on Python 3
> in this way.

Hmm, i'd have to agree with OKB on this one however i also believe (as
Steven alluded) we must be very careful *not* to sow discontent
thought-out the Python community regarding 3.x. adoption. As we know
(and have witnessed) negativity spreads like wildfire and "positivity"
sort of moves at a snails pace -- or not at all. Its the same thing
you see on "major news outlets". People love to read and talk about
other people's dirty laundry. You hardly ever hear the about the
people who are really changing the world in positive ways (scientist,
engineers, doctors, etc..)

However don't just say... "Well schmits, module "xxyy" is not 3.x
compliant so i'll just skip Python 3.x. for the next 3 years!".
Instead ask yourself..." Ok, module "xxyy" is not 3.x compatible and
thats real schmitty, however maybe *i* should volunteer my time and
help move the module/package into 3.x compliance?"

<lecture>Even if you only put in a few hours into this effort every
little bit helps. And if everyone would just put in a few hours we
would be there very quickly.  We need to stop being lazy, quit
lamenting, quit bitching, and give back what was given us by investing
our spare time into Python's evolution. Everyone who uses Python owes
that to themselves and the Python community at large.</lecture>

It would be "nice" to start a thread where everyone could cast votes
for the most important modules. Then we can focus our efforts on this
list. I'll bet in very short time we could bring Py3.x into "prime
time" action. However, don't tell me we have a list *already* because
we don't. What i am proposing will give people a *voice* making them
*feel* more a part of the team. Motivation is the hardest obstacle to
overcome when achieving community goals. We must give the people a
voice!!

Ask yourself..."What have *I* invested into Python?" *Maybe* you've
never helped maintain or build community/stdlib modules, write
documentation, or even fielded questions on one of the Python
newsgroups? *Maybe* all you've done is to use Python to fulfill your
programming needs? Sure you could say that merely *using* Python is
giving back (yes that is true) however we need you to give a bit more
than that, and really it won't be a whole lot more! *Maybe* you want
to help but don't know where to start. These are all good questions
and i hope someone will supply the much needed answers

One thing is for sure, this group is lacking a strong leader that can
direct and influence the work that needs to be done. Someone who has
the respect and admiration of the community. Of course Guido would be
the perfect choice and I wish he would stop by and say something but i
am sure he is very busy. And besides, he has invested a *lifetime*
into Python. Ask yourself. Anyone want to step up and really get this
thing started? We shall call you the XBDFL. psst XBDFL: if you need a
speech writer let me know! ;-)

from community import PublicAddress
pa = PublicAddress(volume=6, echo=4, reverb=8).open()
pa.write(" *ahem* Steve Holden?")
pa.write("Steve! Holden!")
pa.volume = 10
pa.write("Steeeeeve Hooooolden!?!?")
pa.write(Are you in the building, Steve Holden?)
pa.write(Please report the "Why Python3" thread because we need your
input)
pa.write(Thank you)
pa.close()

...sorry to pick on you Steve ;-)