I strongly dislike Python 3

Stephen Hansen me+list/python at ixokai.io
Mon Jun 28 10:41:11 EDT 2010

On 6/28/10 7:15 AM, Edward A. Falk wrote:
> In article<mailman.2146.1277570052.32709.python-list at python.org>,
> Thomas Jollans<thomas at jollans.com>  wrote:
>
>> There is no reason for print not being a function. Also, do you use
>> print *that* much? Really?
>
> I use it all the time.  Who doesn't?  What do you use instead?

It depends on what my purpose is.

If its debugging output or something similar, I use the logging module
exclusively (the fine grained control it gives me on just how much
information, categorized as such, with which modules, is invaluable to
prevent brain hemorrhage from TMI or confusion from TLI).

Any other use, I basically operate on a file object. I never write to
stdout directly, but instead to some file object passed into some
function-- it may very well be stdout, but the code doesn't know that,
because I half the time I don't have a stdout (or stderr) and half the
time I do.

I *could* use, say, print >>file_object, "..." in those cases, but I
sort of hate that construct kind of a lot. So don't. :)

--

    ... Stephen Hansen
    ... Also: Ixokai