I strongly dislike Python 3

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Mon Jun 28 04:10:42 EDT 2010

On 28/06/2010 00:03, Eric_Dexter at msn.com wrote:
> It should be easier to have a large number of python versions on one
> machine...  I am realy fond of 2.5 so I am probily going to start
> compiling them or just include the python2.5 exe if I port stuff and
> settle it that way..

I have Python versions 2.1-2.7 and 3.0-3.2 installed on my Windows
box without any problems. I don't often have to use the full range
(mostly, in fact, for confirming that my unit tests still run on
my few released modules). But I certainly do use several different
ones each day where I have to make sure I'm running the same version
as the user who's experiencing a problem.

One technique I find particularly handy is to create a pythonxx.exe
hardlink in my c:\tools (which is always on my path), pointing to
c:\pythonxx\python.exe in turn. Then it's just a matter of: python25
my-script.py
Even without that, it's only a question of c:\python25\python my-script.py
if I need to.

I have in the past used a crude shebang-alike Python pre-processor
which hands off to the right version. It's a bit sluggish, though,
and that outweighed for me the slight convenience. YMMV

TJG