Why Python3

Steven D'Aprano steve-REMOVE-THIS at cybersource.com.au
Sun Jun 27 23:11:30 EDT 2010

On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 20:12:10 -0400, Terry Reedy wrote:

> 7. Order comparisonS
>
> In early Python1, I believe all objects could be (arbitrarily) compared
> and sorted. When Guido added the complex type, he decided not to add an
> arbitrary order, as he thought that could mask bugs.

I should point out that this wasn't a mere whimsy on Guido's part.
Mathematically, supporting larger-than and less-than comparisons on
complex numbers *is* a bug -- they're simply meaningless mathematically.
(Which is greater, 2-1i or -1+2i?)

What Python needs[1] is a "sorting" operator, which is allowed to return
a consistent if arbitrary sort order (perhaps lexicographic sort order?),
separate from the ordinary > and < operators. This would allow the caller
to sort lists of arbitrary items for display purposes, without implying
anything about the relative size of items.

[1] For some definition of "need".

--
Steven