I strongly dislike Python 3

Martin v. Loewis martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Jun 27 16:09:37 EDT 2010

> I agree that there may be not much reason to port custom proprietary
> apps that are working fine and which would hardly benefit from, let
> alone need, and new Py3 features.

In the long run, there will be a benefit: at some point in the future
(surely years from now), /usr/bin/python will be Python 3. So scripts
that use /usr/bin/python (or "/usr/bin/env python") will stop working.
As a quick fix, it might then be possible to have them run with
/usr/bin/python2. Some time more into the future, this will also stop
working, as Python 2.x won't be available anymore in the OS
distributions. If the custom proprietary app is then still used, it
better be ported.

The same happened with other kinds of deprecations and removals through
the life of 2.x. Some applications where tied to a specific Python
release, or to a specific feature that had been deprecated. These either
needed to be ported, or dropped.

Regards,
Martin