I strongly dislike Python 3

Tim Delaney timothy.c.delaney at gmail.com
Sat Jun 26 17:17:40 EDT 2010

On 27 June 2010 05:36, Brian J Mingus <Brian.Mingus at colorado.edu> wrote:

> This comment and many others in this thread fail to address the substance
> of the OP's point. Languages such as Python and Perl have adopted the
> strange practice of making new versions of the language backwards
> incompatible. Many other languages such as Java remain backwards compatible
> and thus do not alienate their userbase.

Check the version number of the latest java runtime (BTW I'm actually very
slightly out-of-date) ..,

> java -version
java version "1.6.0_18"
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 16.0-b13, mixed mode)

So you're comparing Java 1.0 to Java 1.6, an increase only in minor version,
with Python 2.x to 3.x, an increase in major version. You should properly be
comparing Python 2.0 to 2.7 and 3.0 to 3.2, where backwards-compatibility is
retained (except for bug fixes).

The fact that Java 1.6 is "Java 6" is purely a marketing tactic to use
bigger numbers, and is ignored by the implementers of Java.

Tim Delaney