deprecated string module issue

Stephen Hansen me+list/python at ixokai.io
Sat Jun 26 15:43:03 EDT 2010

On 6/26/10 3:56 AM, John Pinner wrote:
> On Jun 25, 11:14 pm, Steven D'Aprano<st... at REMOVE-THIS-
> cybersource.com.au>  wrote:
>> Terry made the
>> very reasonable observation that you would serve the community, and thank
>> us, by posting a bug report to pylint, rather than just ignoring it, and
>> you respond with a totally bogus accusation of "rudeness" followed by
>> comments about what you imagine Terry's personal life is like.
>>
> Except that it is not a bug, but a configuration issue:

IMHO, default configuration that produces results which are factually
wrong count as a bug. :)

Since the "string" module itself is not and never has been deprecated,
if default pylint configuration claims it does that's a problem-- now if
a user wants to go add say, 'os' to a list of deprecated modules, then
we can't blame pylint for complaining incorrectly. The user asked it to
do a wrong thing.

I don't use pylint -- so don't know -- but surely there has to be a way
to specify deprecated functions and have it warn you, instead of whole
modules? Since deprecating certain functions seems far more common then
modules at large.

Not that I've done any sort of study, so I might be totally off base on
that count.

--

    ... Stephen Hansen
    ... Also: Ixokai