I strongly dislike Python 3

Stefan Reich wertiges.produkt at googlemail.com
Sat Jun 26 13:59:30 EDT 2010

Stephen.

Stephen Hansen schrieb:
> If your biggest complaint is the print statement/function -- man,
> you're looking small, and are in for a world of hurt when you get to
> the bytes/[string|unicode] split hits.
No, I'm not "looking small". I'm thinking big. I sometimes use seemingly
small examples to illustrate a bigger problem which clearly seems to
exist somewhere on your side.

I'm also not in for a world of hurt, I'm glad to say.

It really seems to me that you are an intellectually aggressive person
that is not much worth talking to.
> There's no "as long as" -- its done. Python 2 is over with 2.7.
Well, then it is NOT done yet. And of course there is an "as long as".
> The incompatibilities with Python 3 are intentional,
What? For what reason? It seems that this is a pure power grabbing
attempt. Forcing people to decide where, with proper project management,
no hard decision of that kind would be necessary.
> and although slow, momentum for migration to Python 3 does in my
> anecdotal experience seem to be continuing steady -- so eventually,
> Python 3'll be the norm.
It may or not be the norm eventually; in either case, that doesn't
explain or excuse the counterproductive choices made with Python 3.
> Not that Python 2.7 will then die completely, I'm sure.
Oh, so you are once again contradicting your earlier statement that "it
is done". Seems to me you are trying to kill Python 2 a bit too fast.
> The pydev's have even stated it'll have a longer then usual bugfix
> maintenance period, recognizing some people will be on the Python 2
> platform for years still.
Hear hear! So we do exist, and we're not going away so quickly either.
> --Stephen
>
> P.S. Am I the only one who has never, ever, even *seen* a 'print'
> statement in non-toy or non-bash-script-style code in any application
> or even third-party library I looked at? Except, on occasion, for
> quick and dirty debugging. Perhaps because I'm more used to
> cross-platform to windows development, where a stray print can
> actually break the entire application (depending on contexts, if one
> is run under a service or sometimes even pythonw)
God man, you need to stop bashing a perfectly good statement in an
attempt to make you look like a "smart programmer" who "doesn't use
print" in his "serious applications".

Shaking my head,
Stefan