Why Is Escaping Data Considered So Magical?

Tim Chase python.list at tim.thechases.com
Fri Jun 25 23:29:23 EDT 2010

>> In the Python example, that would be something like
>> os.popen2(['zcat', '-f', '--', untrusted]).
>
> That’s what I mean. Why do people consider input sanitization
> so hard?

It's hard because it requires thinking.  Sadly, many of the
people I know who call themselves programmers couldn't code their
way out of a paper bag, let alone think logically about the
security implications of their code.[1]

-tkc

[1] much of which ends up being cargo-cult programming,
cut-n-paste'd from Google search-results.