best way to increment an IntVar?

Stephen Hansen me+list/python at ixokai.io
Fri Jun 25 20:45:19 EDT 2010

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 5:00 PM, rantingrick <rantingrick at gmail.com> wrote:

> However i'm not about to waste my time
> if i cannot get the code accepted into the stdlib because "some
> people" here hate me.

Please get over yourself, dude. No one believes this martyrdom schtick
you've taken on since you snuck away from our little challenge.

Python-list and Python-dev are not the same thing. It's python-dev who
decide what gets in, and provided your patches contain all the relevant
required details-- documentation changes when appropriate, test cases when
fixing bugs, stuff like that-- they'll get in sooner or later. I guarantee
you that the committers really don't care enough about you to hate you:
really, they're adults with way more important things to do. You're really
not worth hating. Now, if you start moaning in the tickets, that might make
it hard to get anyone to want to look at them.

But, bear in mind: 2.7 is in Release Candidate 2, and that's the last 2.x.
So, IDLE in 2.x is done, finished, never to be changed again (well, short of
bug-fixes, but that doesn't count 'making it better'). So we're only talking
3.2+ IDLE here that you would be fixing. Perhaps you should go contribute to
that dreampie project? It really does look quite promising.

> the state of IDLE [snip] is very important to the future of Python.

[Citation Needed]*

--S

* Okay, I concede having an IDLE-like-thing shipping with Python is of
moderate importance. Making IDLE like the most awesome IDE man, I see no
evidence of the need nor urgency nor importance of that.