deprecated string module issue

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 18:48:06 EDT 2010

On 6/25/10 4:31 PM, GrayShark wrote:
> Why the rudness Terry Jan Reedy? Get up on the wrong side of the bed? Or
> worse luck, no one on the other side to create a wrong side?
>
> As to your comment about Logilab's pylint. I'v seen a ticket similar to
> this from three months back. I assume they're not fixing it because if
> you review 'string' via pydoc you'd read this:
>
> ---------------------------------------
> Help on module string:
>
> NAME
>      string - A collection of string operations (most are no longer used).
>
> FILE
>      /usr/lib64/python2.6/string.py
>
> DESCRIPTION
>      Warning: most of the code you see here isn't normally used nowadays.
>      Beginning with Python 1.6, many of these functions are implemented as
>      methods on the standard string object. They used to be implemented by
>      a built-in module called strop, but strop is now obsolete itself.
>
> ---------------------------------------
>
> Not the 1.6. Seems some serious work went into putting the 'string's
> functionality into _builtin_.

Note the "most". The module as a whole is *not* deprecated, just most of the
functions. In particular, the constants you imported are not deprecated. You are
supposed to get them from the string module. pylint is incorrect, or at least
imprecise, in labeling the string module as deprecated.

--
Robert Kern

  an underlying truth."
   -- Umberto Eco