deprecated string module issue

Ixokai ixokai at ixokai.io
Thu Jun 24 13:50:46 EDT 2010

On Thu, Jun 24, 2010 at 10:39 AM, GrayShark <howe.steven at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry, I meant "from string import lowercase, uppercase"
>
> As I was joining these two, I just changed the import to 'letters'
>
> So if the constants are not deprecated, why is the module? Is some
> other
> state then deprecated needed to describe functions and/or methods
> deprecated,
> but not whole modules?
>
> It just seems wrong, this all or nothing state.

Huh?

Again: the string module is not deprecated. It simply is not.

Certain functions in it were deprecated.  Those were clearly marked in the
documentation as deprecated -- since 2.0-ish if memory serves, if not that
early, then not too long into 2.x.

Those deprecated functions have been removed as of 3.x.

If pylint is reporting the entire module is deprecated, pylint is wrong. Its
not deprecated.

--S