Should I Learn Python or Ruby next?

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Wed Jun 23 01:00:56 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 5:58 PM, Josef Tupag <joseftupag at gmail.com> wrote:
> I've been programming (when I do program) mainly in Perl for the last 10
> years or so. But I've been itching to learn a new language for a while now,
> and the two near the top of the list are Ruby and Python.
>
> I figure that Ruby would be easy to learn because of its similarity to Perl
> (I'm told). But I also figure that Python would be easy to learn because of
> its simplicity. And when it comes to webby stuff, I can use Rails with Ruby
> and Django with Python.

I think it does not matter much. It matters much more that you know
one of them really well rather than both of them so so.

There are some stuff in python without any equivalent in ruby AFAIK,
things like numpy/scipy. I am sure the contrary is true as well, but I
don't enough about ruby to have an informed opinion.

cheers,

David