Should I Learn Python or Ruby next?

Stephen Hansen me+list/python at ixokai.io
Tue Jun 22 10:24:24 EDT 2010

On 6/22/10 4:51 AM, James Mills wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 9:37 PM, Nathan Rice
> <nathan.alexander.rice at gmail.com> wrote:
>> As far as community support, Python has 4342 packages listed in sourceforge,
>> Ruby has 705.  Python is listed in ~0.4% of jobs at indeed.com's trend
>
> You are forgetting the 10278 (last count) or so packages, modules and what not
> available on PyPi (1).

In all fairness, then you need to compare the nearly nine thousand
packages on RubyForge.

But, otherwise, I refrain from this conversation. Obviously the users on
this list prefer Python, in general. We may have many fine reasons for
doing so, some of us may have used a bit of Ruby, but LanguageA or
LanguageB conversations are never really useful.

If you're doing this to solve a certain problem: specify the problem,
and I may have some real insight for you. If you're learning this out of
an academic desire to learn a new language, then learn both.

Learning a new language is always a net win. Which first? Whatever you
have the vaguest preference for after five minutes.

No reason to be picky with adding tools to your mental toolbox.

--

   Stephen Hansen
   ... Also: Ixokai