Should I Learn Python or Ruby next?

James Mills prologic at shortcircuit.net.au
Tue Jun 22 05:20:14 EDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 6:58 PM, Josef Tupag <joseftupag at gmail.com> wrote:
> Before I really dive in, though, I'm curious to hear what others think about
> the choice between these two languages.

This is a terribly subjective opinion and I apologize to anyone that
actually uses
Ruby and likes it :)

I find Ruby (compared to Python) to be a syntactical rip-off and
a bad one at that. Some things in Ruby aren't nearly as simple or
as concise as you would find in Python.

When it comes to "Web Frameworks" IHMO, I believe Python has
a lot wide variety of tools available to you, not just Django,
TurbotGears, Pylons, etc. (I can't comment on Ruby).

Aside from my not liking some of Ruby's syntax or semantics
I found Ruby on Rails to be awful. I went through it's turotial
a few months back and didn't even make the first couple of pages
before I got utterly bored with reading.

So there you go...

Sorry I can't offer you a real objective response!

cheers
James