daemonizing after binding to port

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Sun Jun 20 06:00:14 EDT 2010

mk <mrkafk at gmail.com> writes:

> I'm starting a SocketServer.TCPServer in my program, but since I want
> to report problems to script starting the program, I want to go daemon
> *after* TCPServer has done binding to port.
>
> Is this likely to cause problems? I mean, my client works when I do
> the above, that is, it connects to the server. But I'm not sure if
> above is the Right Thing(tm).

There is more to becoming a well-behaved daeon process than merely
detaching the process. For details, see PEP 3143 “Standard daemon
process library” <URL:http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-3143/>.

--
 \      “Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than |
  `\  it ceases to be serious when people laugh.” —George Bernard Shaw |