GUIs - A Modest Proposal

Cameron Laird claird271 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 16 14:45:50 EDT 2010

On Jun 6, 5:49 pm, Kevin Walzer <k... at codebykevin.com> wrote:
    .
  [much wisdom, particularly
   in regard to Tkinter]
    .

> The very diversity of GUI toolkits came into effect because Python is
> very easy to extend and integrate with other C/C++ libraries. Writing a
> GUI toolkit from scratch is much, much harder. Even a simple toolkit
> like Tk has twenty years of developer-hours behind it. Do you really
> think the Python community will be able to a) agree on the design of a
> new toolkit to replace Tkinter and b) implement the code in a timely
> fashion across multiple platforms? It sounds like an impossible goal to me.
    .
    .
    .
Several people (other than Kevin) have written about Tkinter's
"non-standard"/unsatisfying/... appearance.  Those who last
looked at it several years ago will probably do well to fire up
an instance and view the Tile widgets it now offers.  While I
don't know nearly enough to guarantee that they'll please
everyone, they're at least different from the Tkinter of 2005,
and at least some of the differences are in directions mentioned
in this thread.