how to build with 2.4 having 2.6 as main python

Dan Stromberg drsalists at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 18:55:46 EDT 2010

I don't think #!/usr/bin/env python is the right thing - unless a script
really doesn't care much what version of python it gets.

I used to #!/usr/bin/env everything, but I've been updating my old scripts
not to.  It's just too much trouble, despite the one minor simplification it
provides.

My Ubuntu 10.04 system has a mix of the two, but there are more
#!/usr/bin/python's.  That concerns me a bit, because I've needed to install
a half dozen versions of python in the past, and soon will do so on this
machine.  Of course, I rarely change my $PATH to include one of these
alternative python's (which is probably the salient issue), but I don't want
to be stuck being unable to do so if the need does arise.

I spent a year working in PowerShell, to my surprise.  What a pain it was
not being able to install more than one version at the same time.  May
Python never have that problem!