Python Tkinter Linux Repair Question/ Python TCP Socket Example

Thomas Jollans thomas at jollans.com
Tue Jun 15 17:54:11 EDT 2010

On 06/15/2010 11:35 PM, My Python wrote:
> I got to target my little GUI app that uses TCP sockets in Python
> 2.4.4 for Windows and Linux.
>

> Question 1
> =========
> Given the above, I installed 2.4.4 on Windows 7 and Tkinter import
> works like a charm. (the install is good)
>
> The Linux (Red Hat 4.1.2-46) though has python preinstalled with ver
> 2.4.4, but Tkinter import fails:

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
>   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.4/lib-tk/Tkinter.py", line 38, in ?
>     import _tkinter # If this fails your Python may not be configured
> for Tk
> ImportError: No module named _tkinter
>>>>

> Could someone please explain how to configure python for Tk or
> (reinstall the Tkinter package by itself will be easier and get rid of
> the issue, if so how to install)??

To build from source with Tkinter, you'll need to install Tcl/Tk first.

Many Linux distributions split up Python, so that the interpreter
package doesn't depend on Tk and X11 being installed. Debian GNU/Linux
has a "python-tk" package. I'm sure there is an equivalent package in
RHEL. You'll just have to find, it, and install.

-- Thomas

> I tried reinstall the entire python-2.4.4.tar, followed instructions
> (./configure, make, make install) -- this did not fix Tkinter.
>
> Question 2
> ========
> Can some one post a URL (or a sample module itself) that shows how to
> write basic TCP socket application?

I believe the stdlin asyncore/asynchat documentation includes some
example code...