Community (A Modest Proposal)

Grant Edwards invalid at invalid.invalid
Tue Jun 15 10:07:48 EDT 2010

On 2010-06-15, Steven D'Aprano <steve-REMOVE-THIS at cybersource.com.au> wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 16:20:29 -0400, Terry Reedy wrote about IDLE:
>
>>>   We are at once lucky to have a built in editor
>>
>> It is certainly a boon to someone like me who now only programs in
>> Python and had no experience, let alone commitment to any of the current
>> alternative.
>
> I know that lots of people swear by IDEs, and back in Ancient Days I
> used to use the THINK Pascal IDE on a Macintosh so I'm not hostile to
> the idea. But in those days you could only run one app at a time, so
> you needed an IDE or you'd go insane. These days I have an xterm open
> with a couple of tabs in one window, an editor open in the other, and
> it all Just Works. The only nuisance is when I get a traceback, I
> have to manually copy the line number from the terminal window and
> paste it into the Go To Line dialog in my editor, instead of the
> editor magically scrolling to the right line automatically. But other
> than that, I don't see the advantage of an IDE. What am I missing?

You got me.  I tend to type the line number rather than cut/paste, but
I too have tried IDEs and found them cumbersome.  It's Emacs and a
couple xterms for me.  I do recommend an editor with syntax
highlighting and indentation tools.

--
Grant Edwards               grant.b.edwards        Yow! Why is everything made
                                  at               of Lycra Spandex?